Saturday, October 17, 2009

10/17...the surgery

Hey all...thanks for your overwhelming prayers, blog posts, and a full mail box of cards. I don't remember all the people to pass on to Gracie but know that she'll be reading through all of this I'm sure when she is home and doing better.

I got in safe today at 5:50am and Grace's mom and youngest sis Emma got there not long after. They were getting Grace a bath and we headed in to see her and pray for her before her surgery. We spoke with the doctor before and after and she did a great job at letting us know how everything was. They did both skin grafts to her feet and though they were a little deeper than expected, neither got into her tendons or arteries so she didn't lose much blood at all and it sounded like it went really well. So PRAISE GOD for his mercy and goodness which we are so undeserving of. But he is so gracious to his' Gracie.

Chris (Julia's hubby) and Julia came down to be with her as well during visiting hours today. We rotated between mom, me, Ems, and Jules. She was pretty sleepy and didn't open her eyes much from 12:30-2:30. Then we headed out for lunch to Nifty Fiftys (small advertisement - GO there if you can) it was great fun and I had a Flyin' Hawaiin (in honor of Shane Victorino). When we got back from 4-6pm she was a little more awake and sensitive to the music and what we were talking about. Just some tears coming out that we got to dry off for her. We had her smiling a little and crying some more and she was just resting. It was a blessing to have that interaction again today though it was hard too.

So what are the medical plans...she is still on antibiotics, steriods for the swelling in her lungs, pain meds, and "sleepy drugs" as I call them...not to mention the ventilator, feeding tube, and IVs. The plan is to do a scope again on Monday and we are all (nurses and doctors included) really hoping that they can take it out. Though we've come to see that is her worst burn and are not sure whether to expect that on try #4 or not. Then Wednesday they will take her bandages away from the donor site on her thighs and on her feet to see how everything is healing after the surgery. So Monday and Wednesday are the scheduled big days ahead.

In between keep praying for her peace and comfort and that her body can remain strong and get ready to breath again on it's own. Also for us as a fam as we are in the waiting room with many other familys that are in and out. Today was a pleasant day with 3 other families, one with a young child, one a teenager, and one a father/grandpa. At all stages.

As for me...yeah I'm ready for it to be over to be honest. As my grandpa King used to say, "I've learned a lot, but I wouldn't give a nickel for another". I'm doing pretty good and God has been more than faithful.

Grace's dad looks to return from overseas next week so hopefully Gracie will be up and walking by Thursday for when he gets in.

Here is a song that Gracie and I love to sing together, when it came on my mp3 player yesterday it brought tears to her eyes and we cling to the truth together.

There is none like You
No one else can touch my heart like You do
I could search for all eternity long
And findThere is none like You

Your mercy flows like a river wide
And healing comes in Your Name
Helpless children are safe in Your arms
And there is none like you

Thanks again for your prayers and letters and posts...they are so encouraging to me and the family now and will be to Gracie soon.

18 comments:

  1. We are so glad to hear surgery went so well for Grace! Just wanted to let you know we are having a special prayer time designated tomorrow just for you guys! We will be praying about Monday and Wed. We love you both!
    Keith and Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad that she is doing better. Lots of people are praying in my bible study and among friends who don't even know you guys but want to lift you up into prayer. Keep strong in the faith! We'll keep praying for you both.

    -Cara Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lamar,
    You probably don't remember us, but our family went to Old Road a LONG time ago...about 10 years. We just loved your family and miss all the fun times we had. Thanks to Facebook, I got back in touch with your mom and heard about your Gracie's accident. I just finished reading your entire blog. Our family will pray for both of you and your families. I will also ask my Bible Study group to lift Grace up in prayer.

    Bryan, Heather, Zach, Hannah and Jake Dilcher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamar and Grace, I continue to follow your blog and pray for you! My cat woke me up this morning at 4 a.m. and I couldn't sleep. I thought of you and prayed for you. I often pray that the Holy Spirit would interceed and go before our Father for me. We Love you two. We will continue to pray!!
    Mark and Jen Holsinger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamar and Grace, we are praying for you both. Please let Grace know we say hello. Thank you for the updates. May you both continue to be lifted in prayers. You are an amazing couple. Blessings, Deirdre and Keith Kozma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lamar and Grace,

    Just a quick note to let you know we are praying for you and for the LORD'S continuing grace and comfort in these trying days. Just trust Him for all He is going to do in the days ahead.

    Mr. & Mrs. Polanycia (Michele's parents)
    Lakeland, Florida

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are continuing to lift you guys up in prayer. So good to hear that Grace's surgery went well and that she is doing better. We just think of you so often - will miss you guys tomorrow.
    Cheryl & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for keeping us updated through this blog. Yours and Grace's well-being have been on our minds and hearts since we heard. We continue to pray for peace and comfort, courage and encouragement as you continue on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I'm friends with Grace's sister Anna, and I'm sure like many others, found out about Grace from "random" Facebook connections. I say random in quotes because we know nothing is random with our loving and powerful God. He has brought so many to pray for you both and I will be yet another. Prayer is the most powerful thing we can do for you! James 5:15-16

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lamar and Grace...
    The both of you and your family have all been in my prayers as I've been following your updates. I know that this accident doesn't make sense...but I pray that the Lord will reveal His working through it all. Your positive attitude throughout this trial has been such an encouragement to me. Keep trusting Him. Keep relying on Him. He promises NEVER to leave you.
    Thank you for your faithfulness...to the Lord, but also updating us all on what is going on with you all. You are an inspiration to us all. I can only pray that I would be as trusting in Him if given a trial such as this.
    Lamar-were you injured? How are you doing?
    I will continue to pray for peace, comfort and grace for each of you.
    Blessings,
    Laura Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  11. We continue to lift you both up!

    The Files Family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Grace and Lamar,
    You are so precious to us and our human hearts have been so concerned about the things that have happened. The Lord is a constant, loving Father and your ultimate Healer in these times of great difficulty. You are continually in our thoughts and prayers with much love.

    Debby Jackson and the family

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Lamar and Grace;
    My devotions this morning had this quote....
    We will not grow weary of waiting upon God if we remember how long and graciously He once waited for us..Praying for you hourly as we wait for total healing from our Heavenly Father for our dear daughter Gracie and son Lamar as he stands beside her along the way...

    Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; there I will wait for him." The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; Lamaentations 3:22-25

    Love and prayers sent your way every minute of the day, dad and mom king

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Lamar and Grace.
    Greetings from Haiti. AM here in Haiti for a week, and will be in Rwanda for another 2 weeks.
    I have been praying for you both since I came to read about what happened. May the Lord continue to embrace you with His love and grace and peace. Please know that I continue to be with you in prayers.

    In His love,
    Malu (Garcia)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grace and Lamar,
    We are so happy that the surgery went well. Continuing to pray. The two of you have been so strong during these difficult times.

    "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You don't know us either Gracie...I am a "cousin" to Lamar, we bank at Fulton :), and I got to know your sis in law, Maria, at LIFT last year...Anyway, been reading all the preciousness your husband has been writing about you. :) I am praising the Lord for sparing your life, and continue to cry out to him for your protection, healing, and great blessing to fall upon your life. May you feel God's presence TODAY, and the days to come. Missy King.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jason and Michele HerrOctober 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM

    May His peace rain down upon you Grace...

    with much love,

    Jasona and Michele

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lamar and Grace,

    I’ve been praying for you many times every day since Monday morning when I heard about what happened! I just can’t stop thinking about you. I’m glad that there has been some good progress along the way. Just take things one day at a time.

    “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” James 1:2-4

    I heard this song this week and thought of how you might be feeling:

    “Broken Hallelujah” by Mandisa

    With my love and my sadness
    I come before You Lord
    My heart’s in a thousand pieces
    Maybe even more

    Yet I trust in this moment
    You’re with me somehow
    And You’ve always been faithful
    So Lord even now
    When all that I can sing
    Is a broken hallelujah
    When my only offering
    Is shattered praise

    Still a song of adoration
    Will rise up from these ruins
    I will worship You and give You thanks
    Even when my only praise
    Is a broken hallelujah

    Oh Father, You have given
    Much more than I deserve
    And I have felt your hand of blessing
    On me at every turn

    How could I doubt Your goodness
    Your wisdom, Your grace
    So Lord hear my heart
    In this painful place

    Hallelujah
    I lift my voice
    Your Spirit moves
    I raise my hands
    I reach for You

    I will continue to keep you in my prayers!

    Love in Christ,

    Melissa Fulmer

    ReplyDelete