Monday, October 19, 2009

The Sidewinder

Hola all,

So why the sidewinder...well it's a roller coaster at Hersheypark not far from Lancaster here in PA. It's one that you get in and they take you back up a hill then let you go and you go through 2 flips and a twisty turn before going up another steep incline, you pause...then you go through it all backwards. A thrill at times but sickening other times...that would be a good graphic description of todays events :)

First off let me put some verses that I got from my aunt and uncle today, reminding us of what we had in our wedding. The verses were 2 Cor 4:7-18 and some of it says this "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us...Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." WOW...how true in a time such as this, we proclaimed it at our wedding and now we need to live it. Thanks SO much for the reminder J&C.

So today we knew was scope down the throat #4. Though this was the one with the longest break in between and she has been on steroids this time around as well so I was secretly really expecting it to be out today though the news seemed like it will be awhile. After Grace's mom and I were in for about an hour the pulminary group came in so we had to leave. About an hour later the nurse came out with a "sorry" look on her face and said no. Everyone was bummed and it became a waiting game again. Time with Grace was more energized today as her heartrate was flying high as she was moving around and trying to motion to stuff. It took mom and I probably 10 minutes to figure out that she just wanted a tissue. But we finally figured it out and she calmed down a little again. We got her to smile a few times (when I showed her how long my beard is) and she wanted to have her glasses on today so I'm sure she saw more. Ups and downs, tears for me for the first time in her room I think as she rested while mom and I listened to a great worship song that I can't remember right now. I wanted to remember so bad but I'll have to ask mom about it. Sorry :)

Anyway at the end of the 6pm visiting hours we saw the head doctor and he said in about an hour he could talk. So we were in with him for about 30 minutes as I described how it happened and mom asked questions. He did an incredible job at explaining everything and stressed that there won't be any long term damage to her lungs or throat and that she will come out of this fine it will just take time. There was talk of a trach today...but it sounds like that isn't wanted and won't be needed if we can get this tube out in the next couple of days. They would probably first try to put a smaller tube in her as she is tiny as most of you know and so a smaller tube would really help that throat to heal so we shall see. One day at a time it sounds...we've got probably another 1.5-2 weeks down there.

So that's the ups and downs of the sidewinder today...but we know the Controller of the ride and we are trusting he knows the best path. It says somewhere in Psalms that as a man plans his way the Lord determines his steps.

For He is Good,
Lamar

5 comments:

  1. Lamar and Grace,
    I haven't posted a comment up until now but want to let you know that Jesse and I are praying regularly for you. We're thankful for the overall good report you received from the doctor this evening and pray that the coming days bring miraculously rapid healing and improvements...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamar and Grace,
    Psalm 16:9 - ironically enough this is the verse I build a devotionall around in our pre-field church presentation.
    For some reason this hasn't allowed me to post before, but be assured that we have been glued to the blog and appreciated the updates. We have been praying continually as our hearts are torn for you guys. All our love to Gracie and hellos to the whole Gebert family.
    Jeff & Becky Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lamar and Grace,
    We are so sorry to hear that the tube has to stay in a while longer. With that said it was great to hear that she shouldn't have any long term damage. The waiting is so hard, especially for Grace and yourself. We continue to keep both of you in our prayers all day long. Many people are praying, and we know that Gods timing is best.


    God’s Delays
    Our Daily Bread
    READ: Habakkuk 1:12–2:3
    I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch to see what He will say to me. —Habakkuk 2:1 Waiting is hard for me. I want answers now. Postponements perplex me; deferrals daunt me. I’m baffled by God’s delays, wondering why and when. “How long, O Lord?”

    The prophet Habakkuk wanted answers as well, but God chose to take His time. “I will stand my watch . . . to see what [God] will say to me,” Habakkuk wrote (2:1). “The vision is yet for an appointed time,” God replied. “Wait for it; because it will surely come” (v.3).

    Faith never gives up. It knows that despite appearances, all is well. It can wait without signs or significant indications that God is at work, because it is sure of Him. “Each delay is perfectly fine, for we are within the safe hands of God,” said Madame Guyon (1648–1717).

    We too must learn to view each delay as if it were “perfectly fine.” Postponements are reasons to pray rather than grow anxious, impatient, and annoyed. They’re opportunities for God to build those imperishable but hard-to-acquire qualities of humility, patience, serenity, and strength. God never says, “Wait awhile,” unless He is planning to do something in our situation—or in us. He waits to be gracious.

    So take heart! If God’s answer tarries, “Wait for it; because it will surely come.” — David H. Roper

    Soon shall the morning gild
    The dark horizon rim,
    Thy heart’s desire shall be fulfilled—
    “Wait patiently for Him.” —Havergal

    God stretches our patience to enlarge our soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamar and Gracie;

    During the darker days of life, we are wise to remember that God is with us always and that He offers us comfort, assurance, and peace. Our task, is to accept these gifts........

    May Your faithful love comfort me as you promised...Psalm 119:76

    Praising the Lord for his comforting hands and for all the people that are praying for you and Gracie and the rest of the family....Love you guys, Dad and mom king

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't posted a comment every day, but am faithfully checking the updates and praying. I know you never expected Gracie to be in the hospital for so long. I am really praying that they won't have to do a trach. Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Come unto me all you who are weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest.

    ReplyDelete