Saturday, October 24, 2009

May the name of the Lord be praised...Job 1:21

Thank you so much for your heartfelt prayers and tears on behalf of Gracie. We had an incredible day with her. Her mom/dad were there as well as Chris/Julia (sister) Hershey came down to visit for the day. Mom and I headed in first and found her there with the ventilator tubes sucking the open air as it fell off her ET. Thankfully she can breathe on her own and was quite well but I quickly attached it anyway :) We then proceeded to have a really nice time with Gracie. She was sleepy but was very interactive with head nods and hand gestures. She was very sweet, not upset, and gentle most of the time. It was a joy to see her this way and she cracked a smile a few times and seemed to be more light hearted. Because of the meds she always forgets what is going on so that is normally one of the first things I try to ask her and explain. The accident, her feet, the surgery, the tube, and what is expected in the days to come. I explained why her hands are tied and that the meds made her try and rip the tube out a few days ago and she shook her head no in disbelief. She had no clue she did that.

Most of you that know me well enough know I don't do well with needles, blood, hospitals...so I've been reluctant to grab the suction tube to get the saliva out of Gracie's mouth and throat. And I don't want to be the cause of her coughing or choking either. She knows that well...but today with mom and I in there she nodded that she wanted "to be suctioned" as we've pleasantly called it. So I put the skiny tube on the end of it and she opened up a little more to let me in, I talked my way through it and it went pretty well (though the nurse came in later and got all the stuff I missed...which I'm glad she did). When I asked if it was good, she raised both her hands and tried to hit them together, missing the first few times because she is on meds and can't see past 8 inches w/o her glasses and then connected on a few. We asked "does that mean stop?" she shook her head no and then mom asked her "are you clapping for lamar?" and she smirked. She applauded me for suctioning her. That made us all laugh and just set the course for the day. It was a quite day in Grace's room at the Crozer Burn Center today and for that we praise the Lord for his mercy and grace. And we thank you for praying on that behalf.

Grace seemed ok with waiting until Monday morning (7:30am is the scheduled trip to the OR) though she'll need reminded of that next time we talk we'll get her reacclimated. :) She has been so good with all of this and is determined to get that tube out and get on the road to recovery. Her feet are doing well and her arm is healing up great! A little over a day to go until she gets checked out and hopefully this time they can extubate her...we shall see.

Thanks again so much for all the cards, calls, prayers, and care...we owe you a ton and love each one...even the ones we don't know :)

I'm learning as I read this morning from Job "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

10 comments:

  1. Lamar and Grace,
    It was so good to her that she was feeling better!! That there were laughs, and that she didn't remember the previous days!! We are continuing to keep you in our prayers!!

    Matthew 11: 28-30

    *"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got choked up at such relief and good news. Praise God for answered prayer!!! And hope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! So glad things went much better today. Meds can make even the most gentle people do the craziest things! God is healing her and that is wonderful knowledge! Lots of love your way!

    The Files Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so good to read this post; thanks be to God for the gift of today! I guess I just wanted to tell you that, though I am one of those readers you don't even know -- we have only a tenuous connection through my mother and Gracie's -- you have both been very much in my heart and prayers all this week. I am starting to feel like you are my friends -- and to talk about you as if you were. :-) But seriously, I was in a similar accident not too long ago, and your story has really stuck with me. I will continue to hold you up in prayer. God be with you both.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!!! Thank you, O God! What a wonderful report to the glory of your wonders and works on Gracie's behalf...O, how I love you so! I continue O, Jehovah Rapha, to pray before you, my God, in Jesus name; you truly amaze me and bring me to tears as I see your hand so evident as I read Lamar's posts. Let this day, Father, be a better day than yesterday. Let your power and might be seen over and over again as Gracie is brought before you by way of prayer. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lamar,
    We appreciate your updates so much. We've never met you but as we get to know you through your postings, we thank God that you are a good and loving husband to our precious Grace.

    The hymn "He Giveth More Grace" came to mind for you...........

    He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
    He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
    To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
    To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

    When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
    When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
    When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
    Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

    Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
    Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
    Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
    The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

    His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
    His power no boundary known unto men;
    For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
    He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

    Praying for you in Cleveland, Ohio
    Ron and Jan Hart and Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lamar, it seems so ironic that so many prayers and praises are going up for Gracie - Grace, the prayer warrior in many people's lives, including all of us at her workplace! I miss her voice over the PA system calling us to come to prayer meeting 3 times a week. There were many times that I asked Grace to remember needs and concerns in my life. Or just to praise God for who HE is. Just wanted you to know what a godly, precious wife you have!

    Joan Bauman

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lamar, Glad to hear that you had a better day with Grace! Your in our thoughts and prayers during this journey that you are on!!! Praying that the vent tube will come out on Monday so that Grace can be more comfortable and be able to communicate and healing will continue! Thanks for your daily blogs, you are such an inspiration~ Your love and concern for Grace shows through them all. Praying for strength for you as you go through his with her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad for a good day! That is just the blessing we've been praying for! Praying that all will go well tomorrow! Jill & Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lamar, I have been privileged to read your posts and to offer prayers in everyone's behalf in the midst of this trial. I met Grace once and know her parents only through our church's affiliation with them. God bless you for the courage you have demonstrated and will continue to need as you walk together through this. You have been, to me, a beautiful picture of God's love for each one of us as you have detailed the love you and Gracie have for each other - an incorruptible love - without spot or wrinkle Ephesians 5.
    May God continue to reveal Himself to all of you in ways you never before knew Him. O the depth of the riches, the wisdom and knowledge of God, how unsearchable His judgments and His ways past finding out.

    ReplyDelete