Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stops along the way...

One of my favorite songs on the local Christian radio station was Bible Train and I was thinking of it on the way home from dropping Grace's mom off at Harrisburg tonight. Words go like this...Here comes the Bible Train, chuggin round the bend, I know the Engineer - He's my special Friend, destination heaven, with "stops along the way", all aboard we're leaving, so get on board to day...then everyone makes a train noise. I feel like that is part of what's happening...I tried to remind Grace today that this is just a spec in the glimpse of our lives and eternity and that it will be over soon, Lord willing. It's truly a stop along the way, and through each "set-back" even in this process there is something to be learned and best part hopefully some others "get on board" on this ride to Glory.

All that being said...today started with a good meeting with Gracie, Julia and I were in and though the pulminary doctor didn't come in yet to see her they said they would be in at some point today. Hoping it was 9am and that we would come in with her talking and with no tube in her throat, plans changed. When we went back in after lunch from 4pm on...they let us know that they just checked out her throat and the blisters were still there, they are pretty deep down toward the lungs. So 48 more hours it will be until they check again and hopefully Friday they can take it out. Gracie was upset they told us and didn't like the news so they needed to calm her down with bigger doses of some drugs. She is on a lot of antibiotics in case of infection/pneumonia and we hope to get results from the cultures soon so that if there is something to fight they can just use the specific one to treat that infection.

I was in from 4-4:45 with Julia and then Julia stayed with her as I went to pick up mom from the train station in Philly. We got back at 6pm and it was such a joy for Gracie to be with her mom. She cried upon arrival and was quickly calmed and soothed by her mom's voice. The resident Dr there gave mom, Julia, and I a full updating as to what is going on so that was very comforting. Though we wait until Friday for another check down her throat, they are carrying well for her and plan to do surgery on her feet Saturday. Skin grafting needed most likely. They started feeding her through a tube down to her stomach today so those nutrients will help in healing and giving her body the strength to keep fighting infection.

The other thing is Gracie tried to write and gesture that she was having bad dreams, that were disturbing so PLEASE pray for her dreams to be joyful and encouraging and that she would be calm for the next 2 days as we wait for a chance to get that tube out and get off the ventilator. Also pray that we would be bold in our witness for Christ as a family through this.

Thank you all for your support and prayers...hard to believe it's the end of day 4 already.

Love you all,
Lamar

15 comments:

  1. Praying for Grace's dreams to be full of hope and relief, almost like a glimpse of what joy is to come in coming weeks. That God's peace wouldn't be interupted as He encourages her in deep ways while she rests.
    You mentioned the song early on.. when my oldest son struggles with night terrors I sing this over him (based on zeph 3:1) "Gavin, Jesus loves you so much. He sings over you while you sleep." Simple. True. Praise God for Grace's mother visiting and for your strength and Julias as you wait and have a chance to be her joy. Praying lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joy of the LORD is your strength. Neh 8:10
    I am praying that this joy will give Grace peace as she sleeps tonight. PRAYING for the whole family. Susan Wiker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace and Lamar,
    I'm praying for you both as I've just read through all your posts. I'm praying that God would surround you with His strength and comfort today to push through. I'm praying especially for Grace's dreams while she is probably sleeping right now (I guess the time difference in Moldova can be adventageous for some things). I'm asking for God's hand of protection on you both through this time. It's encouraging to see how He is already working so far. He is faithful always!

    Missing you both,

    Meredith Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamar and Grace,
    Thinking of you both and praying that the healing process goes swiftly and smoothly and sweet dreams for Grace.
    With love and prayers, Sara and Rob Sheaffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamar and Grace,

    The DBA faculty at Cedarville are praying for you both and your family. Some of us also know about waiting for God to work. This is a time when trusting God to heal is the only action you can take but it is sufficient, because He is sufficient. Through the pain, He can constantly comfort and hold you both up.

    Sarah Smith (Accounting Professor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian and Chris TalmadgeOctober 15, 2009 at 10:46 AM

    Lamar and Grace,
    We continue to pray for you both as you heal. We pray that Grace can get her proper sleep (without the nightmares) and proper nutrition so that she can heal quickly. Wisdom for the doctors as they diagnose and operate.
    Lamar we are praying for your strength and that you feel Christ's strength and grace as you carry out your activities.
    Houses can be fixed and we praise God that you will both recover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad Jan is here!!! Sorry to hear about the "set back". I am sure that is very frustrating for her. We are continuing to pray for you all!

    Blessings,
    Bill and Deja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your posts, we remember you in prayer. Your example and reflections are an encouragement to us. As I read Psalm 102 in my devos today I thought of you; life it says can be troublesome and short but God is glorified and remains on his throne sovereign through everything and the nations will know he reigns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for the updates Lamar! i'm so glad that Jan arrived safely and can be a comfort to Grace. we're praying that the dr's would have wisdom and that the blisters would heal quickly. It's better for them to be conservative with their medical treatment and allow time for her to heal than to remove the tube too soon. eventhough it seems like a long time to wait, extra time means more time for healing. we'll be praying that she has peaceful dreams :) and that you continue to have strength to get through each day.

    Sara and Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lamar,
    You and I may not have ever met, but I am Jason and Elizabeth Files's sister in law. I wanted to tell you that we have been praying for you as well as our entire church congregation here in Indiana. We will continue to lift you and Grace up to our loving and faithful God as you walk this path. Your strength and ability to praise God in the midst of all that is going on is a true testimony for all to witness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lamar, I was looking forward to good news today on Grace's throat. Sorry they are still not able to take out the tube. We will be praying that the Lord will protect her mind as she sleeps and that the doctors would have wisdom in treating her. What a blessing to have her mom there!! Thanks for the updates- I come to my parents house everyday just to check on you guys. You & Grace remain close to our hearts and in our prayers.
    We love you guys!
    Ryan and Nora

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lamar,

    I heard about Grace through someone on facebook! I have been checking the updates on here every day & have been praying for Grace as well as for you! PLEASE let her know that Caleb & I are thinking of her & praying for her! We know that our God is faithful to bring us through all things & that He will bring you both through this difficult time. Tell Grace I love her! She was such a good friend to me at a time when I really needed one, and though we don't keep in touch as much as I'd like, I'll always consider her a good friend. Also let her know my parents are thinking of & praying for her as well. They always thought she was so sweet! You are covered by so many prayers right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Hope Congo team is covering you in prayer -- lifting you both up to God -- our Healer and Comforter. Praying you feel His comfort in sweet sweet dreams, and continue to experience His healing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Lamar,
    I just can't imagine the pain and fear Grace is dealing with right now. It has to feel like more than she can handle, although God promises this isn't the case. I think about and pray for her so often. You guys are loved!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Psalm 63:1-8
    O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek you;
    my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.
    I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.
    I will praise you as long as I live, and in Your name I will lift up my hands.
    My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singings lips my mouth will praise You.
    On my bed I remember You; I think of You through the watches of the night.
    Because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your wings.
    My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.

    ReplyDelete